Since the Plainview Area History Center is dedicated to keeping the history of Plainview and the surrounding area alive we decided we wanted to show how things have changed around the area. We decided to start with homes of well known former Plainview residents. We plan to add more to this page besides homes and will be updating it frequently so make sure to check back often for more 'Then and Now' content.

Page

1|2

Then and Now - Homes

Amos Bore House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/3

The home was built in 1903 and AC Woodcock's brother helped with the consturction. It is an American Four Square style home and originally had leaded glass windows. It is located at 430 W Broadway. For a map view of this home please click here.

Burchard House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/4

Richard Burchard built this house in 1878. I was extensively remodeled by his son, Charlie after his father's death in the 1890s. It is an Italianate style home with a Victorian porch.

It is located at 320 4th St SW (formerly Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Congregational Church Parsonage

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/2

The home was built in 1900 by contractor H.C. Anderson, who was a member of the church, for $1,500. The home was torn down in 1999 to make room for a church addition. The house was located at 515 W Broadway. For a map view of this home once stood please click here.

Davey House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/2

The house was built as a Victorian style house in 1874 by A. Davey, a Plainview Billiard owner and business man. It was torn down in 1918 to make room for lumber sheds for the Laird-Norton Lumber Company. It was located at 435 W Boradway. For a map view of where this home once stood, please click here.

Dr. Slocumb House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/2

The home was built in 1900 by Winona Builders at a cost of $5000 for the home (an American Four Square Style) and the barn. The house was nearly destroyed by fire and water damage in 1916. The house is located at 325 4th St SW (orignally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Dr. Whitcomb House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/5

The home was built in between 1913 and 1914. Dr. Whitcomb was a verternarian The animal hospital (the barn) next to the home was built in 1910. The home is located at 135 4th St SW (originally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

J. Davis Jr. House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/2

The home was built in 1892. It is a Queen Anne style and was originally located on Broadway, but was moved to make room for the school expansion. The house is now located at 450 2nd Ave NE.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Frickey House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/4

The home was built in 1876. It was originally brick, but was later covered with stucco. It was purchased by Dr. McClure, a verterinarian, who built the barn in 1914 for his practice. It was torn down in 1989.

The home was located at 10 East Broadway.

For a map view of this home once stood please click here.

Gregory House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/4

The home was built in 1892 by FL Greigor who built several houses in Plainview during that period.

The house is located at 445 3rd Ave SW (orignally Locust St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Koenig/Schad House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/3

The home was orignally built in 1910 by Albert Koenig who lived in it one year before moving to South Dakota. Frank Schad, an employee and later partner in the Koenig store bought it. The house is located at 130 1st Ave NE (orignally High St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Riefkogel/Dr. French House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/2

The home was built in the 1860-1870 time period by the Riefkogel family who were harness makers. It was remodeled in 1920 by Dr. French for his residence and office. The house was stuccoed at that time. It was later the home of Plainview physician Dr. Mahle. The house is located at 335 1st Ave SW (orignally Mechanic St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Thomas A Thompson House/EL Sylvester House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/5

The home was orignally built in 1887 by Thompson, who was one of the founders of Plainview. From 1889 to 1925 it was home to banker EL Sylvester and family. It was remodeled in 1919/1920 with stucco siding, which was popular at the time. It was later the home of banker Zabel. The house is located at 745 W Broadway.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Kellom House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/4

The home was built in 1895 at the cost of $1400 and it's a Queen Anne Cottage style home. In 1941 it was moved from its original location on Broadway for the Highway 42 project. The house is located at 150 1st Ave NE.

For a map view of this home please click here.

M A Grove House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/3

The home was built in 1902 at the cost of $4500. It is a Victorian style home with a turrent (tower). Grove was a civil war verteran and owned a furniture store. The house is located at 540 4th St SW (orignally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

The Taylor House/Mountain Ash Boarding House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/3

The home was orignally built in 1895 by carpenter David Taylor. David died from a fall, while building the local livery barn, before the house was finished. His wife Lousia finished laying the flooring and opened a boarding house to support her family. The house is located at 140 5th St NW (orignally Church St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Welles House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/4

The home was orignally built in 1897 by Franklin and Sarah Welles as a Queen Anne style home. Franklin Welles was atwo term post master in Plainview. The house is located at 245 4th St SW (orignally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Weigel House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/3

The home was orignally built in 1895 at the cost of $1200 by Harry and Zula Weigel. Harry ran a meat market. Photos were taken in 1905 showing children Bernice and Malcolm. The house is located at 335 3rd St SW (orignally Water St).

For a map view of this home please click here.