Since the Plainview Area History Center is dedicated to keeping the history of Plainview and the surrounding area alive we decided we wanted to show how things have changed around the area. We decided to start with homes of well known former Plainview residents. We plan to add more to this page besides homes and will be updating it frequently so make sure to check back often for more

'Then and Now' content.

Then and Now - Homes

AC Woodcock House

The home was built in 1911 and AC Woodcock's brother helped with the construction. It is an American Four Square style home and originally had leaded glass windows. It is located at 430 W Broadway. For a map view of this home please click here.

AP Foster House

Alonzo Foster arrived on Greenwood prairie in1855, among the first settlers. His first Plainview home was built in the 1860s, but was destroyed by fire in 1881. This home was built on that foundation. Unfortunately the house was torn down in 2003.

It's address was 340 5th St (formerly Church St) SW.

For a map view of where this home once stood

please click here.

Dr. French/Rockwell House

The home was built in 1913. Dr. French and his father-in-law built this house in an American Four Square style with a wrap around porch. The house was later a nursing home - resthaven. The house is located at 210 5th St (originally Chruch St) S.W.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Geo. Black/A. Dickman House

The house was built in 1917 by Plainview businessman Geo. Black in a Bungalow style, which was popular at the time. It was home to the Hassler family in the 1940s. In 1993 it was moved from it's location on North Highway 42, a map view of which can be seen by clicking here, to its current location at 440 W Broadway. For a map view of this home

at its current location click here.

George Wedge House

1/4

The home was built in 1896 at a cost of $3200. The home is a Queen Anne Style and George Wedge, its owner, was a retired farmer. The house is located at 320 4th Ave

(originally 2nd St) S.W.

For a map view of this home please click here.

James Carley House

1/3

The home was built in 1906 by contractor HC Anderson and was sold to Fred Goetz in 1919. The home is located at 140 1st Ave (originally High St) N.W.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Mallory House

1/6

The home was built in 1902 in a Princess Ann style at the cost of $3200 by contractor H.C. Anderson. Ellen Wedge Mallory finished the house after her husband Julius died during construction.

The original wrap around porch has since been removed.

The house is located at 405 4th (originally Jefferson St) S.W.

For a map view of this home please click here.

J. Davis Jr. House

1/3

The home was built in 1896. The home is a Queen Anne Style and Banker Davis only lived in this house a short time before selling it to FJ Cornwell, a Plainview businessman.Cornwell lived in the house with his niece and nephew, the Askews. The house is located at 30 1st Ave (originally High St) N.E.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Lawton House

1/4

The home was built in 1893. WM Lawton was a grocer. He had Plainview's first telephone connected from his store on Broadway to his home on Jefferson Street. The home is located at

410 4th St (originally Jefferson St) S.W.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Mrs. Waste House

1/3

The home was built in 1908 by Helen Higgins Waste, the widow of Dr. J. Waste. The home is considered a cottage in the colonial style. The house is located at 605 W. Broadway.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Sexton House

The home was originally built in 1894 by Charles and Anne Ritter and contractor David Taylor, who was Anne's brother. Charlie Ritter was the 'berry man' who raised garden crops including many types of berries. The house is located at 135 5th St (originally Jefferson St) N.E. For a map view of this home please click here.

Amos Bore House

1/3

1/3

The home was built in 1893 as a Queen Anne by Levi and Helen Sexton and possibly builder L. Griegor. Levi was a retired farmer and the site also had a large barn. The house is located at 110 7th St (originally Lincoln St) S.W. For a map view of this home please click here.

Burchard House

1/4

Ritter House

1/5

The home was built in 1903 and AC Woodcock's brother helped with the construction. It is an American Four Square style home and originally had leaded glass windows. It is located at 430 W Broadway. For a map view of this home please click here.

Richard Burchard built this house in 1878. It was extensively remodeled by his son, Charlie after his father's death in the 1890s. It is an Italianate style home with a Victorian porch.

It is located at 320 4th St SW (formerly Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Congregational Church Parsonage

1/2

The home was built in 1900 by contractor H.C. Anderson, who was a member of the church, for $1,500. The home was torn down in 1999 to make room for a church addition. The house was located at 515 W Broadway. For a map view of this home once stood please click here.

Dr. Slocumb House

1/2

The home was built in 1900 by Winona Builders at a cost of $5000 for the home (an American Four Square Style) and the barn. The house was nearly destroyed by fire and water damage in 1916. The house is located at 325 4th St SW

(originally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Dr. Whitcomb House

1/5

The home was built in between 1913 and 1914. Dr. Whitcomb was a veterinarian The animal hospital (the barn) next to the home was built in 1910. The home is located at 135 4th St SW (originally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Gregory House

1/4

The home was built in 1892 by FL Greigor who built several houses in Plainview during that period.

The house is located at 445 3rd Ave SW (originally Locust St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Koenig/Schad House

1/3

The home was originally built in 1910 by Albert Koenig who lived in it one year before moving to South Dakota. Frank Schad, an employee and later partner in the Koenig store bought it. The house is located at 130 1st Ave NE (originally High St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Riefkogel/Dr. French House

1/2

The home was built in the 1860-1870 time period by the Riefkogel family who were harness makers. It was remodeled in 1920 by Dr. French for his residence and office. The house was stuccoed at that time. It was later the home of Plainview physician Dr. Mahle. The house is located at 335 1st Ave SW (originally Mechanic St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Thomas A Thompson House/EL Sylvester House

1/5

The home was originally built in 1887 by Thompson, who was one of the founders of Plainview. From 1889 to 1925 it was home to banker EL Sylvester and family. It was remodeled in 1919/1920 with stucco siding, which was popular at the time. It was later the home of banker Zabel. The house is located at 745 W Broadway.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Davey House

1/2

The house was built as a Victorian style house in 1874 by A. Davey, a Plainview Billiard owner and business man. It was torn down in 1918 to make room for lumber sheds for the Laird-Norton Lumber Company. It was located at 435 W Broadway. For a map view of where this home once stood, please click here.

J. Davis Jr. House

1/2

The home was built in 1892. It is a Queen Anne style and was originally located on Broadway, but was moved to make room for the school expansion. The house is now located at

450 2nd Ave NE.

For a map view of this home please click here.

Frickey House

1/4

The home was built in 1876. It was originally brick, but was later covered with stucco. It was purchased by Dr. McClure, a veterinarian, who built the barn in 1914 for his practice.

It was torn down in 1989.

The home was located at 10 East Broadway.

For a map view of this home once stood please click here.

Kellom House

1/4

The home was built in 1895 at the cost of $1400 and it's a Queen Anne Cottage style home. In 1941 it was moved from its original location on Broadway for the Highway 42 project. The house is located at 150 1st Ave NE.

For a map view of this home please click here.

M A Grove House

1/3

The home was built in 1902 at the cost of $4500. It is a Victorian style home with a turret (tower). Grove was a civil war veteran and owned a furniture store. The house is located at 540 4th St SW (originally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

1/3

The Taylor House/Mountain Ash Boarding House

The home was originally built in 1895 by carpenter David Taylor. David died from a fall, while building the local livery barn, before the house was finished. His wife Lousia finished laying the flooring and opened a boarding house to support her family. The house is located at 140 5th St NW (originally Church St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Welles House

1/4

The home was originally built in 1897 by Franklin and Sarah Welles as a Queen Anne style home. Franklin Welles was a two term post master in Plainview. The house is located at 245 4th St SW (originally Jefferson St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Weigel House

1/3

The home was originally built in 1895 at the cost of $1200 by Harry and Zula Weigel. Harry ran a meat market. Photos were taken in 1905 showing children Bernice and Malcolm. The house is located at 335 3rd St SW (originally Water St).

For a map view of this home please click here.

Plainview Area History Center
40 4th St. SW
Plainview, MN 55964

NEW !!: The History Center will remain closed until further notice. However anyone who would like to make an appointment for a tour of the History Center or needs to conduct some research from the Archives may contact our volunteers at:  plainviewmnhistory@gmail.com

Face Masks will be required by all visitors and volunteers. 

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now